Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Ft. Myers Comprehensive Review Seminar Recap

They came, they saw, they had enough after 6 1/2 hours. Genie Byrd hosted at Imperial Dragon Kenpo in Ft. Myers, FL. About a dozen black belts participated in the review, coming from the local studio, Ed Cabrera's in Tampa, Tim Walker's AKKU in Branford and American Karate in Tallahassee. Jim Deery flew in from Philly. Four of them had just passed their 20 year anniversary on kenpo under me.
Jim Deery had a car accident and totaled his vehicle, went to the hospital and made it to the studio anyway! That's dedication. Frank Triolo, who is fighting and beating cancer sat in, too. Big pats on the back to these two.
We started with the original yellow, went into the orange and the extensions, continued up to purple with extensions, too, and on to blue. The forms from one thru Long Three were done also. We discussed variations, themes, relationships, where the techniques came from and I told some anecdotes. The feedback has been very positive.
This session was designed for those working toward 3rd and above, hence the amount of detail and the length of time it took. Other sessions are planned in other states as well as a follow up to this one so we can finish. Watch for dates on my website seminar page at www.wedlakekenpotv.com/leewedlake/seminars-2 and on my Facebook pages.
  I managed to see my tai chi teacher, Tom Baeli, very briefly and my Systema buddy, Pater Annazone. I spent some time working with Dr. Marc Rowe, who took over my tai chi classes at the hospital when I left Ft. Myers. It's always interesting hanging with him. One of my tai chi students from Celebration, Deborah Porter, came down and had dinner with us as a group after the Saturday class. She told me I'd inspired her and she's now in her second year as a student of Chinese medicine and will be an acupuncturist.
  I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to but got some time with my sisters and my dad, who will be 86 this month and is doing well. Since it seems I got most of his genes, it looks like I'll be around a while to pass on the knowledge.
  Thanks to all who supported the event. It was good to see y'all.
  
Damewood, Walker, Caldwell, Byrd, Cabrera, Shaffer, Jenkins, self, Weil, Deery and Miragliotta. Brad Congress and Frank Triolo missing.

No comments: