Saturday, June 22, 2013

Things to know about bullets

I recently learned a few things about what bullets do when they ricochet or pass through glass. Being that we work with pistol defense I think it's a good thing to learn about the weapon itself.
I was in a class in which the instructor, a former British soldier who served in their SAS, who said that ricochets often travel along the surface the ricochet off, they don't go off at an angle like we think. He mentioned that in the context of hiding behind something like a mailbox and that you could still be hit in the leg with a ricochet. Interesting.
  In another area, I had seen a video about shooting through automotive glass. Of course, breaking through the glass will alter the path of the bullet if reference to where it was aimed. The reason why, however, according to handgun instructor Buddy Morrison, is that auto glass has a plastic laminate in it that causes deflection, unlike a lot of window pane glass.
  I thought these points were interesting, I hope you do too.

No comments: