Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lindsey, her Dad, and Chuck Norris


A few days ago I wrote about a man I flew with who did TKD way back in the 60's. One of the last missions I flew, my right-seater was a young lady named Lindsey. Once we got into the search grid, she said one of the other guys had told her I was into martial arts. She said she did Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan and some TKD. Funny coincidence, since the last person was a TKD person, too.
As it turns out, she said her dad had done some training and worked with Chuck Norris way back when. And, like many people, he said Chuck was a nice guy. I agreed, having the same experience on the occasions I had met and talked with him.
I met him at a tournament in Chicago back in the late 70's. I ran into him again in Long Beach at the Internationals. He apparently had watched me fight because he said "I like your hook kick." I saw him again the following year at LAX. We were going home from the IKC and he was coming in. He ran up to us and asked "Lee, who took Grand Champion?" We told him and went our seperate ways. The guys with me were a bit freaked out. But Chuck Norris is one of those people who remember your name.
The last time I saw him was in 1988 at the tribute to Ed Parker in LA. He sat at the main table with Mr. Parker and his family. Rightly so, as Ed Parker was instrumental in launching Chuck's career.
So, you never know who has what kind of connection to the martial arts. Makes things interesting.

No comments: