Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Mommy...

I was in California last week, spending some time in San Francisco before going to Graham Lelliott's camp in Wonder Valley. Jan and I went through Yosemite on the way. While we were down on the valley floor at Yosemite Village we stopped for something to eat. I was standing in line to order and saw something that disturbed me enough to write this.
There were a bunch of young teens in a school group ahead of me. One of them had a t-shirt that on the back said "Mommy, can I go out and kill tonight?"
Now, in my mind, this raises many questions. Does "Mommy" know her daughter is wearing this? Who bought it? What does mom think of this if she knows it's being worn? If mom bought it, what's on her mind? If the daughter bought it, why? Has anyone said anything to her or them about this?
I've got a dry sense of humor, and my friends will tell you I can be as twisted as the best of them. But this pushes it in the context of recent school shootings. What kind of message does this send? Are these parents watching what their kids are wearing? Are you?

No comments: