Saturday, January 8, 2011

We've lost a good one

Francis Rene of New Orleans passed away Friday, January 7 after a long bout with cancer. I'd known Francis since the 1980's and met him at the Pasadena studio when he was out for the Internationals. He knew everyone and has been around the kenpo scene forever. That's Francis in the center above, flanked on the left by Hanshi Richie bernard and 8th degree Steve White and on the right by myself and Master Don MacKay.
  He was a true student if there was one. He always sought out knowledge with a genuine interest, not to get rank rank or lord it over someone that he knew something and another did not. Francis and I had long conversations on lots of topics and he was inquisitive. It was always a pleasure to be around him. He was a Southern Gentleman. His joie de vivre filled a room. He always had a story to tell and was ready to laugh.
  Francis left behind a wife, Cindy and a son, Etienne. He also left behind more friends than he knew. I will miss him.

1 comment:

lisaduranza said...

I knew Francis from Franco's Athletic Club in Lakeview. I was a Personal Trainer there in 2002. He was a nice man, fun to chat with, and a great dentist. Lately, I've been dreaming about my friends from NOLA and this morning when I awoke, his name came to mind, so I googled his name and I was so sorry to learn that he passed away last year. His son, Etienne is mentioned and I do remember him speaking proudly and happily of "E.T." My thoughts are with his family. Lisa Duranza (lisaduranza@yahoo.com)