Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Standing for Chris Kyle, Navy SEAL

South of cemetary, looking east
I received a notice from the Patriot Guard Riders that the family of Chief Petty Officer Chris Kyle had requested the presence of the PGR at his burial in Austin on 12 Feb. I jumped on my bike and rode to the meet point. Along the way, I-35 was starting to attract people along the road to see the procession coming down from Dallas. As I left Round Rock, the fire department had two trucks parked on the overpass at Hesters Crossing, ladders raised and flag between. Down the road most of the overpasses had emergency vehicles with their lights flashing and many citizens holding national flags. Kyle was a Texan and the people were showing their support.

Looking west. More bikes were on the east side, too.
 The ceremony started with full military honors, drums and bagpipes, gun salute, and as Taps was played two fighter jets flew over low.
East side.

PGR said 318 bikes showed.


West side.

 It took a half-hour for all the SEALs present to hammer their SEAL trident pins into the casket lid, a tradition they have. A man next to me counted them and said there were 120 of them. I was far away but I could see the lid covered with them.
Looking down at the area where the ceremony was.


The ceremony ended with the SEALs on one knee as Amazing Grace was played.
I've been to many of these but not like this one.

No comments: