Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Texas seminars

Lee Wedlake Kenpo KarateRick Fowler hosted me and Al McLuckie for his event last weekend in the Dallas area. I taught a kids' seminar at PowerKenpo in Carrollton on Friday evening to start the weekend.

It's a nice group of people there and they combined the seminar with fund-raising for St. Jude's hospital.

Saturday morning I started off with another group of children, a rather sizable group as you'll see from the picture. They were pretty well-disciplined and easy to work with. Al worked with groups in the Russian system, and I took them through some drills, line-pickups, alternate applications, and so on.

Al and I have known each other for 25 years and have worked together in the same systems at times. We are able to refer back and forth to what the other is doing and make relationships of concept, principle, or movement to facilitate the learning process for seminar participants. We even demonstrated techniques on each other. When have you seen something like that at a seminar?

American Kenpo Karate Seminars I met an old friend there at Rick's as well, "Goldie" Mack. I hadn't seen Goldie in probably 20 years. We first met at a karate tournament somewhere, he'd had dinner with Ed Parker and I at a Chicago seminar in the late 80's and that was probably the last time I'd actually seen him.

We've kept in touch intermittently over the years. Sifu Mack brought a good group to the seminar, and he and I had some laughs together. He's been teaching in Denton for years, and from the looks of him, he'll be teaching for quite some more. It was good to see him.

My thanks to all the people who made the event a success and the trip an enjoyable one. Lee Wedlake and Rick Fowler

**************************************
Lee Wedlake has been teaching Kenpo Karate for over 35 years and has written a variety of Kenpo Books about different kenpo katas and kenpo concepts. Mr. Wedlake has worked directly with Ed Parker and is generous with his knowledge and his time. He is available for Kenpo Seminars and camps.

No comments: