Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chicago seminar

I was back home last weekend to work with Kurt Barnhart's group at Worth Martial Arts and the Japanese Cultural Center. The seminars were well-attended. We did ground work on Friday at Worth. I taught a combination of Judo pins, Russian Martial Arts (Systema) and Kenpo ground techniques.

On Saturday I did an intro to Yang Tai Chi. I was privileged to have my first tai chi teacher, Sifu Bill Grizzle, come by. I took my first lessons with him in TCC in 1985. He's still teaching up there. My old friend and judo partner Dave Zorich came by, too. We've been friends since we were kids. Zoran Sevic was there from Tom Saviano's White Tiger school. You may recognize his name from his website, http://www.kenpothoughts.com/.
 When I get up there, I try to get a sword lesson from Sensei Bob Garza. He teaches Iaido on Sunday mornings at the Worth dojo, A Center for Martial Arts on Harlem Ave. I enjoy his instruction. Being back at the beginner level in something keeps my perspectives fresh.

So, thanks to everyone who attended, Kurt and Barb for organizing and Bob for having me in his class. We plan to have another event in September.

1 comment:

Zoran Sevic said...

It was a great time. It's always good to see you sir. Also enjoyed lunch and the stories that come with it.