Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Shot in the Arm

I remember over the course of my training and teaching that I'd get in a bit of a rut once in a while. Then I'd go to a seminar or my teacher would come to my school and I'd get pumped again. The senior guys in my school and I would agree that it was "a shot in the arm".
    There's something about that non-routine visit that re-awakens the enthusiasm. The combination of a gathering of like-minded people, exposure to new information, new ways to wreak havoc on a body and the "freak show".
   The "freak show" is what I think many people come to a seminar for. They want to see this guest instructor, particularly if they are famous, do their thing. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. It was always cool to see Ed Parker smoke through a technique. But he didn't do it often, especially as he got older. But the little flashes were often just as good.
    Some instructors do a "sell the sizzle, not the steak" presentation. They impress everyone with their speed, accuracy, power, etc and don't really teach anything. You go away thinking it was cool and all but when you think about it you realize you didn't really learn much. I believe I'm there to to teach -  not show how good I am (or you think I am). This is about making you better at your art.
   I remember being taught some things and taking them back to work on. We'd get frustrated because it didn't seem to work as it did in the seminar. One of the guys said "He made it work, why can't we?" I think there are lots of people who experience that and I commend them for coming back again and again to work it out. That's where the shot in the arm is important. If there's a little excitement generated by the class, seminar, tournament, or whatever, it's a good thing. Most of us need that to stay out of the rut. So I'd rather spend a little more time letting you work it in the seminar, so you get it.
   One that subject, I've also found that most people don't remember what they got in the seminar when asked later. we'd have a weekend thing and on Tuesday night I'd ask the guys what they did. Too often they couldn't really remember. I'd show then a bit and then they could do it but it showed me that lots of the stuff just doesn't stick. Maybe the teacher should require the classes right after the seminar to review what they learned instead of going on more new stuff. I tried that and it works.
   Overall, the new knowledge, meeting a "name" in the arts, working with a big group (big energy) and maybe getting a certificate is all good. It may help keep you motivated. It might give a story or two to tell.
I encourage students to take part in these things when given the opportunity. If you don't you're missing something. Even if it's bad. If it is you have something to measure against. If it's good you have more to add to your knowledgebase.

No comments: