Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Are you a professional?

I teach seminars. When I teach instructor seminars I have been known to ask if there are any professional instructors there. I never see all the hands go up. My opinion is that if you are an instructor, you should be a professional. The common thinking in these groups is that they seem to guage whether or not they are pros by whether or not they are being paid.
Most instructors in most schools are unpaid volunteers. They love the art and want to see it perpetuated. They get satisfaction by seeing other people "get it" with their help. These instructors are getting their experience on the job. But that does not mean they can't be professional.
The term professional comes from ages ago when it was used for the clergy and the lawyers. These people "professed", they were held to a higher standard and made special commitments above and beyond craftsmen and other vocations. They were more trusted.
When I describe this to the class and ask again if there are any professional instructors, all the hands go up.
I am a professional martial arts instructor. I get paid for what I do. I believe I hold a special trust. I do the best job I can.
I am a professional flight instructor. I hold a special trust. I do the best job I can. I DO NOT get paid for what I do. It's not that I can't get paid, it's that I volunteered my service, knowledge, and expertise to the Civil Air Patrol. By regulation, we cannot accept money for our services. That's fine with me because I see the big picture they have. If I wanted to get paid I'd go work for a flight school, with the obligations that entails. But I would not be any more or less professional.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well. If you're teaching, teach well. Learn as much as you can about learning. Learn as much as you can about teaching. Know your subject. Don't make stuff up if you don't know an answer to a question. The professional says "I don't know, but I know where to find out."
I was a bit surprised to get these two certificates in the mail recently. One I expected, since I had to renew my dues for the year. The other, the one under this, was the surprise. It says I've been a flight instructor for 19 years. 19 years! Nice to be recognized.


The last years I've been teaching Kenpo I've turned my focus from teaching what to teach as how to teach. There are so many instructors who can come in and show you how to do this or that, and everyone likes to say their way is right, that it's a turn-off. I'd rather show you my way, the way I understand it, and let you make the decision. Then, if you'll let me, I'll give you some ways to get your message across to your students. I have a reputation as being a rather effective teacher and I think I can help you. To that end I've started some Special Emphasis programs for teachers that will be held in seminar formats and that start in April. I'm hoping it helps bring our instructor education programs forward instead of being a monkey-see, monkey-do method or being taken from some other art. This arts is in our hands and we should be responsible stewards.

No comments: