Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Wonder Valley camp

I'm heading off to California over Memorial Day weekend. I was invited to be on the teaching staff at Graham Lelliot's camp to be held at Wonder Valley, just outside Fresno. This is a bi-annual event. I understand why. It takes alot of work on his part and that of his wife, Jaydean.
Like they say; want something done, ask a busy person. That's Jay.
I've been to a lot of camps. Some of them quite memorable for their good points, some for the bad. More of them are good than bad, and some are outstanding. This camp was outstanding.
I've hosted many camps and seminars and I know what it takes to pull this off successfully. The Fresno group did a great job of handling everything. They had people from Sweden, New Zealand, and all over the US. Quite a job.
I've known Graham for 20 years now. We met when I went to Europe with Ed Parker and spent some time on the island of Jersey, where Graham lived. We hit it off immediately and we've kept in touch. Graham was one of the first four European black belts promoted by Ed Parker, after having been taught by Rainer Schulte. Graham has moved to Fresno and brought his European "touch of class" with him.

European camps have quite a different feel to them than American camps. I've enjoyed every one of the events I've attended there. Gary Ellis, Ingmar Johansson, and Graham have all had me over there. They are themed differently and Ingmar's Viking Camp sparked an interest in having a theme for a camp. Graham has brought that idea with him and it makes his camp fun.
The event is held at Wonder valley, the location of California's first dude ranch. It's in the foothills of the Sierra Madres, making a picturesque venue. The accomodations are fine, kind of like a bunkhouse in some rooms, which makes it great for families or a group of drinking buddies. The main building, where the meals are, is located a cross a small lake and the food was probably the best I've had at a camp.
Graham likes to have fun, and you will too. He had karaoke, a bonfire, and some team challenges on ropes and with the "drunk goggles". You'll get some good instruction from a fine staff, and not so much that you can't remember anything, or are so tired you don't want to do anything else afterward. It's a good atmosphere.
Lots of families were there since there is quite a bit for the kids and spouse to do. They can swim in the pool, fish on the lake, do some canoeing or horseback riding among other things. Or they can get in the car and drive to Yosemite or Sequoia National Parks.
The first camp in 2005 hosted Dian Tanaka, Marty Zaninovich, Ingmar, Graham, and myself as instructors. This year we're expecting (I think) Bryan Hawkins, Steve White, Graham, Ingmar and myself. Ed Parker Jr will make an appearance like last time and I'm told Steve LaBounty will be around. Look for more info at www.glkenpo.com. Don't freak out at the price - it includes lodging and food. You'll enjoy yourself. Bring your cowboy hat.

No comments: