Sunday, March 25, 2007

A mind like a parachute

Ed Parker liked to repeat the saying "A mind is like a parachute; it only works when it's open."
I believe that to be true. I'm a bit of cynic but I have taught myself to be more open-minded over the years. I have been able to do that because I took the lessons I was given by people like my Dad, Ed Parker, Mike Sanders, and others and apply them.
It may have made me more "critical" because it made me a little more analytical. I stopped taking what was given me at face value and thinking about it more. Recently I was told I would have made a "formidable researcher". Interesting comment.
Over the years this analytical facet is what filtered my experience, and therefore, much of my students' experiences. I wouldn't let just anyone teach my class. I'd made that mistake years before, and as I improved I saw what was beneficial to myself and my students. That's what I presented them with.
I asked Mr. Parker why he had a Capoeria demo scheduled at the IKC. He simply said "I want you guys to at least have seen this stuff; in case you come up against it, you'll be better able to have an answer for it." So, exposure to lots of stuff is good. Integration of lots of stuff may be not so good. (There's some new brain research that agrees with this.)
Anyway, I have a reputation as being open-minded in the arts. I have had many arts and practitioners work with my guys to the end Mr. Parker had in mind. And this led to an insult by one of my guys here in Florida.
He told me "I'm more open-minded, and I don't mind having my guys go to seminars of different arts." Now this particular instructor is not particularly observant or mindful. Over the years he has missed many an important point. The one he missed that triggered this conversation is that I wanted to know when my guys were going to a seminar or tournament somewhere. Not that I would stop them, they're big boys and can make up their own minds. If they go representing me though, I'd like to know. Call me "old-fashioned". Many senior instructors can tell you stories of visits by students (that includes the black belts) from other schools that proved to be embarrassing to the "sending" instructor. This stuff wouldn't happen if the student simply notified their teacher what they planned to do. This guy of mine may be more open-minded than I but he's ignorant of politics, etiquette, and protocol. ("Where did I go wrong?" he wailed.) He'll learn.
Now another one of my guys is Kyle Zwarg. He gets it. Kyle is pretty sharp. He sent me this article below that started this rant. Enjoy.


Winner's Circle Network with Lou Tice - 3/19/07 - "Having an Open Mind"

Do you have an open mind? Most people think they do, but how can you really tell? Let's talk about open versus closed minds. Open minds are like a good sense of humor - everybody thinks they have one, but the truth may be another story. And what does it mean to have an open mind, anyway? Well, here's what I think: An open mind is one that knows the difference between fact and opinion and doesn't get them mixed up. It searches for the truth as best it can, and even when it feels reasonably certain of what's true, remains open to rational argument. Open minds tend to be creative, because they seek out options and use them in innovative ways. The open mind is able to flow with the ambiguities and paradoxes of life. Instead of fighting these things, the open mind acknowledges and honors them and moves forward into awareness and constructive use of them.The closed mind, on the other hand, learns helplessness when it assumes a powerless stance. Even when it is closed in absolute certainty, it gives away its power. It becomes rigid and develops blind spots, or scotomas, to new information that may contradict what it thinks it knows. Open minds may choose to take a position based on personal values and current information, but they are willing to reconsider if it makes sense to do so. Finally, open minds are happier, healthier and much more fun to be around. So let me ask you again: Do you have an open mind? How do you know?
Lou Tice
The Pacific Institute
http://www2.blogger.com/

No comments: