Thursday, March 15, 2007

Celebration seminars


We're not celebrating anything in particular. It's the name of the town we have the seminars in.
Celebration, FL is a unique town. It was originally conceived and designed by Disney, but the company does not have the ownership interest in it that they originally had.
I hold my seminars at the Celebration Hotel, in the downtown area. That's it in the photo.

Celebration is unique and I want my seminars to be unique as well. If you've read my website you'll know what I mean. If not, here goes. Most camps you go to are a mish-mash of instructors and subjects, and that's OK. But ask most people what they remember what was taught and they don't remember much. I believe the subject should be very focused and that you should have something tangible to work with afterward. At these seminars, and some of my outside seminars, I distribute notebooks and handouts. I believe it contributes a lot to the learning process and the overall martial arts experience.


One of the main precepts of the town of Celebration is one of getting to know your neighbor, somewhat of a lost art in our society. I've been to too many seminars in a room packed with people and you don't really know who they are. At my seminars, since they have a small-group construct, everyone takes some time and introduces themselves and what they do. Maybe, just maybe, one of those people in that group will make a huge difference in your life because you met them there.


We've had people from both Carolinas, New York, Louisiana, Indiana, Florida, and Georgia attend so far. One was a Navy rescue swimmer, another is a firefighter-paramedic, the organ transplant coordinator for the University of Chicago hospital was there. Then there are the school owners and instructors, all professionals. It's a diverse group.

There's a black belt named Gary Bell who drives down from North Carolina every month for this.

Oz Rivero flies down from the Chicago area. Many of the attendees come from Southwest Florida, Tampa, Lake City, and Tallahassee. I'm glad they feel it's worth the time and energy to participate. And they work while they're here with me, but they tell me the time flies. The room we work in is very nice, with doors opening out and overlooking the lake you see in the top photo. Probably good Feng Shui.

So, tomorrow morning Jan and I pack up the Jeep and the dog and off we go to Celebration.







No comments: