Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I have Ed Parker's belt

Years ago I received a phone call from Steve White, one of my long-time students in New Hampshire. I had introduced Steve to Huk Planas back in the mid-80’s and Steve alternately brought the two of us out to his school to teach over the years. Steve called because he was curious to know about the belt I had been given that had belonged to Ed Parker. I honestly did not know what he was talking about. He said Huk had told him that when he passed his belt down to me it was a belt Ed Parker had passed to him. Naturally, I called Huk and asked him which belt it was, as Huk had passed me his fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth degree black belts. I knew it was not the eighth since it was brand new and Huk had moved to that rank after Mr. Parker passed away. It had to be one of the remaining three. I was disappointed to hear Huk tell me he didn’t know which one it was. So yes, I have it, but no, I don’t know which one it is.


In 1997 or 1998 I held a weekend camp in Ft. Myers. Ed Parker, Jr. was present and told me he had something for me. In the presence of Steve White, Dr. Len Brassard, and Jim Lowell, he gave me one of his father’s gi tops. (See it below.) Ed said there were a few people that he felt deserved to have a personal item from his father. His action meant a lot to me. I have that gi top in a plastic case with one of the belts I was given by Huk. One can see Huk had written his name on the red rank tab. I am fortunate to have the jacket and belt of two of the best teachers I have ever had. When I told a friend of mine, who is a yoga teacher, about the gift of the gi top, she immediately broke into tears. She was very aware of the significance of Ed’s gesture. Most students of the arts will appreciate what the passing of the belt means, as well.

I was passed my third and fourth degree belts by Frank Trejo. That, too, was a tremendous honor. He is a legend in the Kenpo world and like a brother to me.


Funny to say but Ed Parker had Ed Parker’s belt, too. Ed Jr. took one of his father’s belts and cut it into one-inch pieces. He included each piece with a portrait he had done of his father. They’re all signed and numbered. He thought it would be a nice way for many to have a little piece of the man who affected so many lives around the world.


Ed Parker Sr. had more than one tenth degree belts. Those belts were manufactured in Japan. For a time, in the early 80’s, Jim Mitchell had gotten our unique belts made in Japan. As you know, we have the stripe and “brick” system of marking. I’ve seen people in other systems take that method over the years but I believe Mr. Parker was the first to use it, if not create it. Old photos of him show the traditional ranks indicated by numerous stripes and then the new method. The belts Mitchell had made had the rank sewn right in instead of tape or fabric being applied on top.


After Mr. Parker passed, his wife, Leilani, told me she had two of his belts. She said Jim Mitchell, who is said to live now in Missouri, does indeed have one of Ed Parker’s tenth degree belts. She told me that he came to the house, asked for one of the belts, and she gave it to him. That alone doesn’t make him a tenth, any more than my having his gi top makes me Ed Parker. I’m not slamming anyone, I just want to be clear to new students that having the rank is not the same a being the rank. I’ll never be Ed Parker and I don’t want to. I’m not his size or strength, we thought alike but not identically, and I’m pretty sure I would not have created a system like his. He was unique. I just want to be able to pass on the genius of Ed Parker and create black belts better than I; students with open minds, good ethics and morals. This system won’t die - not on my watch.

Peace,
Lee Wedlake

The photo above of Mr. Parker was taken by one of my high school friends, Brad Crooks, at his father’s photo studio in Palos Heights, IL. Brad was also responsible for the photos taken of me doing the forms that were turned into line drawings by Ed Parker Jr, and added to Volume Five of Infinite Insights into Kenpo. Brad’s photographs were also used extensively for most of my magazine articles. He and his wife Jeanine live in Parker, CO.

1 comment:

BradCrooks said...

Lee,

Thanks for the photo credit. I always enjoyed taking photos for your projects, and I feel especially fortunate for having met Mr. Parker.

Best,
Brad Crooks