Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Gil Hibben










If you don't know Gil Hibben you are missing out. This is one cool guy. Gil is known for many reasons. The big ones are that he's one of the world's most renowned knife makers and he's a legacy in the Kenpo world. You may not know he can sing and that he can "play dem bones". I refer to Gil as the "philosopher king" of Kenpo. He's been an influence on me.
I first heard of Gil through one of my first Kenpo teachers, Mike Sanders. Gil was living in Alamagordo, NM at the time. I didn't actually meet Gil until the 1980 Internationals. I was walking poolside at the Vagabond motel when I heard a whispered "Sanders". It was Gil, upstairs on his rooms' balcony. He had said "Sanders" because Mike and I looked a lot alike, down to the build and beards. Lots of people said we could have been brothers. We were, as it turned out; Kenpo brothers. I think by then Gil had relocated and would eventually reach Louisville, KY not long after.
Gil and I continued to cross paths at IKC's and seminars. We became friends, triggered by our friendship with Mike, but cemented by like thinking. We share a lineage of coming from the Ed Parker line, too. Gil got his black from Mills Crenshaw, and he trained in that studio side by side with Sanders. Since Sanders certified me as a first black, I can say I come from the Crenshaw line as well. Crenshaw was one of Ed Parker's first guys in the Salt Lake area. I met him in 1978 when he was at the MARS Nationals with Mr. Parker. It was an experience to meet my teacher's teacher.
Gil made me two custom Ed Parker knives, Mark 2 versions. He's made me some other unique pieces as well and given me a prototype or two to fool with. This photo shows one of 10 Star Trek knives he made and a knife made from the steel of the Twin Towers in New York. I had 9-11-01 inscribed on the blade. It's scrimshawed with the firemen raising the flag on one side and the beams of light where the towers were on the other. I had him use the shape of a US Special Forces Vietnam-era fighting knife for it. The patch was from my black belt, Kurt Barnhart.


Gil's come to my camps, and we've had a drink of Makers Mark together from time to time. His wonderful wife, Linda, has always made me feel at home when I've stayed there for the old Birthday Bash weekends they have hosted. The Bash was started to celebrate both his and Huk Planas' birthdays over Labor Day weekend.
He's now the president of the Knifemakers Guild and you can find him at the big knife shows. You'll see his work on the covers of knife magazines. His work is used in movies, big stuff like Rambo III and one of the Star Trek movies.
I laugh because Gil calls me his instructor. It's an honor but it makes me laugh. I was 12 years old when he made black, that's why I laugh. I laugh too because I'm smiling and Gil makes me smile. He's a good old boy, and I don't see him enough. If you do, though, stop him and say hello for me.


No comments: