Monday, October 12, 2009

Reasons For Positive School Growth

My last post asked for feedback on why your school may be doing better in this recession. Tony Perez in Australia responded. You may not think it is relevant to you in the US but Australia is feeling the effects of the global recession.

1. Positioning. The market placement I take is that I offer a character education and life skills program with the framework of one of the most comprehensive martial arts around - Kenpo.


I promote my belief that Kenpo is a paradigm for life. Just like going to school, we teach one how to think, not what to think. One of our goals is congruent actions. Defending yourself in physical ways, by getting a good education, taking care of your physical body, paying your commitments on time, completing home work assignments for school, etc. would be examples of the congruence, or consistency, a martial artist tries to develop.
2. Thorough student pre interview. My wife Leah takes care of this mostly-(she' s the brains and the beauty of the outfit)-where we endeavour to pre qualify potential students by assertaining their background, wants, needs and desires / outcomes of their training. At the same time to explain to them that what we offer is not a hobby martial art, to show how we integrate it with school or work life.
3. Seek commitment. We don't accept casual students. We sign all our team members up to a 12 month program with the reasoning that this offers win/win. At the end of their initial 12 months should they decide to move on at least they are moving on with some physical, emotional and problem solving skills and I haven't wasted my time and other students time with someone who is here one week and not the next. We only use a Direct Debit Tuition Billing Co. to handle this part of the operation - that's their skill, not mine.
4. We are a school not a club. A school is where an education takes place whereas a club is a simply a place to hang out. Schools have consistent rules, standards and a module and competency curriculum.
5. Treat your training partner well. Just like you would your friends, colleagues, parents, mentors, etc.
6. Open door policy. I work hard to network with the families of all my students and I try to acknowldege their achievements outside of Kenpo. This lets them know that I care about them as people not just as a source of income. I try to make everyone feel welcome, valued and respected.
7. Be prepared to say "NO". I 've worked hard to build a positive, nuturing environment and gained the respect of our local community and I'm not prepared to introduce a "bad apple" that may spoil this culture. I have often directed people to other schools. And guess what? - many have come back.
8. Know my niche. I don't try to be all things to all people. As far as the kids go, I'm not a child minding service and as for adults I'm not into creating rock - em , sock - em robots. Do I possibly miss out on students here? Maybe, but I'm confortable with that.
9. Be professional, think professional, act professional. Everyting we strive to do is professional - from presentation and appearence through to communication and qualification. I'm just completing my Diploma in Sports Coaching and Administration (specialization martial arts) which is the highest educational qualification (not certification) recognised by our Dept. of Education and the Sport and Recreation Industry here in Australia.
10. Value your worth. If you don't belief in the value of what you have to offer then nobody else will believe you either. I operate in a local community of some 25,000 people. Servicing this we have 3 x TKD schools; 2 x Kung Fu schools; 2 x traditional Karate schools and lord knows how many MMA places. My tuition fees are the highest yet I have the highest student retention rate. Most of these other places having a revolving front door. I try really hard to get the right people in the front door and then I don't have to work harder to keep them from working out the back door. We explain to people that their tuition fees are not like buying something at a shop on impulse. We have all suffered from "buyers remorse" I'm sure when the novelty of the initial purchase wears off soon after walking out of the shop. I tell people that they are investing in a better future for themsleves or their children and that like any investment, the full value of which will only be realised over time.
11. Thank people. It's easy to take students for granted so I try to make sure that I regularly and sincerely thank them for sharing their journey with me.
12. Never forget what it was like to be a white belt. Enough said
13. Be consistent. I've made many, many mistakes along the way. I've been disappointed and let down by students and colleaques alike - but that is life. The only time you fail is the last time you try.

No comments: