Thursday, December 17, 2009

Madera and Clovis seminars

Once again, we had a great time in California. Graham Lelliott arranged for me to teach at his new studio in Clovis and over at Pete Valdez's studio in Madera. Both are in the Fresno area.
   Mr. Valdez hosted two seminars at The Dojo, his year-old school. I did a session for the kids and also conducted a women's self-defense class. The children were great to work with, Pete and his assistants are doing a great, job with them. The women's class was the same one I run as a community service here in Florida; it was the first time I'd done that class outside my own school. It was a mix of ladies from the studio and women who had no training at all. Pete wants to use the format to offer his own program and I'm all for it. We need more women to know how to avoid trouble. That's Pete's group below.


   The Saturday seminar at Graham's was fun for us all. I started with compounding moves from techniques, threw in some offensive stuff, and we got into some soft-style concepts. The class was attended by all ranks and members of four studios, Graham's, Pete's, Amy Long's group from Sacramento (photo below) and Tony Velada was in from Chicago. (Sorry if I missed anyone.)


   The Lelliotts have a Christmas show for the families every year and the kids did a wonderful program. The them this year was the Nutcracker, very appropriate for Kenpo people I think. Little Dragons to teens were involved and Saint Nick even showed up to do a sword form and pass out candy canes.
  It was my last trip of the year and a good one. Thanks to Pete and Gloria for their efforts at The Dojo. Thanks also to Graham and a pat on the back to his wife Jaydean for all the hard work in putting together their show.

Photos by Amy Long.

No comments: