Friday, February 12, 2010

Success stories

I will be at Marc Sigle's school in Esslingen next week. It's just outside of Stuttgart. Marc has a very successful, well-run school there. Much of that is due to Marc going out and getting the best education he can in the martial arts business and the arts themselves. He then trains his staff and implements what they have learned. I've seen many people go for education and training and then come back and do nothing with it. Not so Marc.
It amazes me that someone would spend time, effort and money to go to a business seminar, for example, then say that the success of the speaker is due to luck or location. I have two students who are now both very successful that had small studios when I met them. Both worked regular jobs and had part-time schools. With a good martial arts education (what we call a strong floor or what you teach) and business skills learned by taking business seminars, visiting successful schools and modeling after them, and networking, both these men grew part-time schools into flourishing studios with hundreds of students. That's not luck, that's work. Steve did this with a second floor location and Marc did it in a basement location. They have good staff, ongoing training and a positive attitude.
All that said, I enjoy my trips to see them both and am looking forward to seeing Marc and his group again. Besides, my weinerschnitzel levels are low. I have to go there. I think they put something in them to make it addictive.

1 comment:

max said...

Mr. Wedlake this is not a comment to your recent post On Feb 12. I just wanted to let you know I am a former student of Mike Sanders. I studied under Mike in the early to mid seventies until his passing in the latter part of the 70's. Mike taught at the local YMCA In Sterling IL. Mike taught Bujin Kenpo as you are aware. I no longer practice martial arts. As I spend my off time as a trail/road runner here in Montana. I do remember meeting you a few times and traveling to Palos Hills with other of Mikes students to participate in Seminars. The two that come closest to mind are Ed Parker & Bill "Superfoot" Wallace.sometime in the mid 70's (I think) Anyway I was looking up Bujin Kenpo & stumbled onto your website. From there I went to your blog. Thank you for the few photos of Mike. Its been a long time since I set my eyes on his image. Brought back alot of old memories of my time as a Martial artist. Mike was a great teacher and friend. Thanks again for having what I consider one of Mikes best photos. max