Monday, March 21, 2011

Combat mind-set

I was reading a book on fencing and came across an interesting set of ideas from a famous fencer named Ralph Faulkner.  He said there were four questions you should ask yourself while fencing. 1) What is the opponent doing? 2) How does he accomplish what he's doing? 3) What can you do against it? 4) Can I accomplish what I have decided to do?
   I like this breakdown. If you've done any sparring or spontaneous self-defense you can relate to this easily. Many of us have found ourselves being hit by someone and having to ask how the heck they're scoring on us. Keeping in mind Mr. Parker's third person perspective, that's why we should have a coach. Coach sees things we can't and suggests a method to counter. Mike Sanders was ringside at many tournaments when I fought nationally rated people and provided me with tips that helped me handle the opponent. Sometimes it was after the fight but I used that info for the next time, like when I fought Steve Fisher. Our second meeting at the Nationals was much better for me than the first time since Mike had clued me in on what he did and how. That covers Faulkner's first two questions.
    Next he considers what can be done about what the opponent is doing but more importantly, whether you can actually perform the desired response. We have lots of techniques in Kenpo and more if we think about stuff we've picked up from other sources. So we have answers to question three about what we can do about it. But the last question, which is essentially, Can I pull it off?, is really important. We may know how to do something but could not or would not employ it. I know how to do a cartwheel kick but would I do it? Maybe when I was 18 but not now. It's an answer but is it appropriate?
   We need to be realistic in knowing what our abilities and limitations are. And they are a moving target - they change for lots of reasons. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Environment is a component to consider here, for example. Knowing how to do a particular technique but having it blunted due to what you're wearing answers the fourth question.
    I think this ties into what Doc Rowe told me they teach surgeons; "Do what you need to do, not everything you can do." That last question, "Can I accomplish what I have decided to do?" is really important.

1 comment:

nelsonkari said...

Dear Lee,
It was nice to read about your ring "coach" our mutual instructor Mike Sanders.
Mike could be brutally honest in his analysis at times as well!