Wednesday, June 29, 2011

There's a warning label on my shoes

The world has gone crazy, ya' think?
Jan was complaining she didn't like the look of me in shorts and cowboy boots, so I broke down and bought a pair of Crocs. Not the ugly ones with the holes in the sides. These look like real shoes. Like most stuff you buy anymore, they had tags hanging off them. I think most of us just tear them off but I read them. I think that's a habit I acquired from aviation. I was taught to read the notes outlined in boxes in pilot operationg handbooks because that's where you really learn about an aircraft and the stuff that can kill you.
  Turns out these shoes won't kill you but they may hurt you. I had seen on the news that people were getting their Crocs caught in escalator steps. I guess the lawyers got involved and now the Crocs people have to put a warning label on their shoes telling me I should stand in the middle of the escalator step to prevent injury.
  That got me thinking about that label - pilots call them placards - that are now on the sunvisor of your car. It's in the black and yellow hazard colors and advises you that driving a car can injure or kill you. No kidding?
  Martial arts can injure and kill you, too. I was talking with a European kenpo instructor about liability and how an instructor can be sued in the US. He was surprised and told me you can't sue a karate teacher in his country. Apparently, their government thinks people are adult enough to realize there is risk in taking martial arts lessons and when they do, they release the teacher. I believe it must be to an extent because negligence is world-wide but stuff happens in class that an instructor just can't control. I'm sure you can think of an example such as the teacher being right there on top of you and someone simply slips and an injury occurs. That's why they call them accidents.
  In that same country they have no 4-way stop signs. They don't think they have to tell everyone what to do.  I think you get the point. If you look around you may be surprised to see just how many examples of the warning label are directed at you. Watch the ads for medication on television. You can take something for your condition but may, among other things, get thoughts of suicide, a heart attack or stroke or anal leakage.
  The world has gone crazy, ya' think?

No comments: