Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March article out at www.leewedlake.com

Subscribers can read Defending the Third Person at my site. Here's an excerpt.

I use this seminar to get people to think. It’s a laboratory. Just like any other technique, we need to look at it from more than one angle. Remember that Ed Parker said there are three perspectives; yours, his and the bystanders. So I looked at Lone Kimono from the bystander’s point of view. “What-If?” I saw my friend being grabbed by the lapel and about to get punched. Could I possibly use Lone Kimono to protect my friend? I found the answer to be yes.

I can use the same pin, break, frictional pull, angle of cancellation and chop on the bad guy. Interesting. Then I went around to the “open” side of the attack and found that Lone Kimono was ineffective and would have to do something else. That made me have to try other techniques to see what might be appropriate. Of course, in a real situation you don’t have much time for experimentation, which is why we practice this in a classroom anyway. It’s the thought process that counts for so much.

No comments: