Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Congratulations

Steve Hatfield


Back about 30 years ago I met Al McLuckie at a seminar I did at Fred Degerberg's in Chicago. It was the first seminar I ever did (and I sure wish it had been better). Al was doing Serrada Eskrima, having come from California and working under Mike Inay, an Angel Cabales student. Over the years Al trained in other arts and is a phenomenal martialist. I hosted a tournament in Chicago that I had Mr. Parker at and Al did a demo of his Filipino Martial Arts. When I asked Mr. Parker what he thought, he said "He's above average". That's pretty good from someone who had seen so much from all over the world, including crossing hands with Bruce Lee. Al has continued to progress and created his own system called Warrior Arts.
   Not long after I met Al I met Steve Hatfield from Ohio. I've always encouraged people to get with Al to improve their weapons work and Steve was one of them. Al lives in Ft. Wayne, IN and Steve being in the Columbus area, they were able to connect. Steve has been one of my students since the mid-80s and is also very well versed in chi-kung (qi-gong). Like many of my students, he's cross-trained and he passes that down to his students. Recently, Steve earned his instructorship from Al in Warrior Arts after 25 years of training. Well done, Steve!
 

No comments: