Monday, February 26, 2007

I found my old stuff

I'm in the process of getting ready to move. Going through the house, looking in boxes and files, consolidating and throwing things away. That's when I found my stuff.
I found a box that had my notebooks from the private lessons I had with Ed Parker. There were lots of old, yellow tablets, some starting to turn brown from age. I found a notebook with pages from my lessons with Huk Planas, Danny Inosanto, and Tom Baeli. They're dated, and even have the location. Some were marked New Orleans, others say Pasadena.
I also found some diary-type scribblings I did sitting in airports, some of which were overseas. But the best things I found were some cassette tapes. I had tape-recorded my lessons with Mr. Parker. With his permission, of course. I've had some of the segments digitized, and I'm going to put them up on my website in the members section. They were done in his living room, in the late 70's and early 80's.
Mr. Parker used to ask me to type out my notes from my lessons and give them to him. So when I got back to Chicago from one of my week-long visits to Pasadena, I'd sit down and do that and drop them in the mail to him. I realized he was using me as a sounding board. He told me he "liked to rap" with me. I asked him all kinds of questions which would lead in many directions and I think he wanted to preserve those thoughts for inclusion in his own writings, or as a trigger for a train of thought.
I knew I had some more handwritten notes in my Accumulative Journals but I had forgotten about these. Glad I kept them, and glad I'll be able to share the sound of his voice with you.

No comments: