Friday, February 23, 2007

Kenpo Karate 401

My next book, Kenpo Karate 401, is done and ready to go to the printer. This one is on Form Four, the "meat of the system" form. Huk says that if you understand Four you understand the system. I'm not sure about that, but I get his point.
I sat down last year and wrote down Four, Five, and Six. I had thought to make one book for all three expert level forms. I found it easier to make three books. Here's why.
K 401 is 80 pages, just on the one form. Let's say the others are 80 pages each as well. That's a paperback book of almost 250 pages. I'm thinking that these books are sometimes used on the mat, maybe stuffed inside a gi for reference at times. At least they are used for reference, and it's sometimes easier to find what "you thought you saw somewhere" in a smaller book. I'm getting feedback from readers, and they're sitting in their easy chair or on the couch with an easy-to-read, information-packed book.
It's taken quite some time to get it together, almost always does. One of my black belts, Mike Squatrito, is instrumental in getting these things set-up in the computer, massagng the photos, and the like. Mike spends a bit of time doing this and I appreciate it. I hope you do, too.
This time around I had the photos done in New England. The models are Steve White and Len Brassard. The photographer was Len's son, Lenny (who is now doing an internship with MTV). They shot about 200 pictures. The book will show the movements and some applications. It is not my intent, and never has been my intent, to show everything in the books. Mr. Parker originally did not want his system on video. He said there was then nothing to stop the guy down the street from picking up the system and saying he taught the same thing as his own guys. Mr. Parker was protecting us. There's positive and negative involved in all that, and it's another subject. Yet I feel that nobody should be able to pick up the book and learn the form from it. They should have to take lessons or know the form already in some way. Then the book will be helpful. A book is not the best way to pick up a form anyway but they do help.
Steve White is a long-time student of mine and is a dynamic instructor and practitioner. He and Len Brassard, along with other board members, run the New England Chinese Karate Federation (NECKF). Steve doesn't do too much outside his area. He has taught overseas with me in England at Gary Ellis' Friendship Camp and will be an instructor at Graham Lelliott's Wonder Valley camp in late May. Come out and see him. A funny coincidence was that when Steve went with me to Plymouth, England we saw the plaque at the waterfront there with the names of the pilgrims aboard the Mayflower. Steve had been told his ancestors were aboard and sure enough, there were the names.
Dr Len Brassard is a psychologist who runs a school in Fitchburg, MA. You can read some of his articles on ADD and kids on my site. Click on "articles". He hosts the big NECKF annual camp at his studio. I'm glad to have him in the book.
The book is available to pre-order on my site in the online store. Should be ready to go by early April, if things go smoothly. www.leewedlake.com

No comments: