Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Ed Parker seminar

I was transferring some of my old videotapes of Ed Parker seminars in Chicago to DVD. The one I did yesterday was from April of 1982. There were two seminars on one tape. The first was what he called an Advanced Karate Theories seminar. In that particular seminar (the title was a blanket term he always used) he discusses the Mother/Father/Sister/Brother/Cousin concept, and inserts to techniques. What I found interesting as well was that he did Five Swords, and he did it WITHOUT the double block so many people like to say he did. For more on the subject, see my You Tube video on Five Swords.

What was fun, too, was to see the faces there. My long-time student and friend Kurt Barnhart was in the front line. Frank Trejo and John Conway Jr were there, too.
The second seminar on the tape is a nunchaku seminar. That's some unusual stuff. Ed Parker was pretty good with a pair of nunchakus and he did some things that caused Frank and I to do a double-take.

Now before you guys start asking if you can get a copy, let me explain a few things.
These were done with a cheap black and white video camera because the technology was fairly new and I couldn't afford a color camera at 1982 prices. I was allowed to tape them with one condition. Mr. Parker told me I could not copy them for anybody, and he had good reasons. Any time I did make a copy was when that person asked him and he specifically gave me permission. So today I have a few boxes full of Ed Parker videos and I can't copy them if I want to keep my word. But the knowledge is useless if it isn't shared. I've been wrestling with this for years.
I'll make a decision. Sometime.
**************************************
Lee Wedlake has been teaching Kenpo Karate for over 35 years and has written a variety of Kenpo Books about different kenpo katas and kenpo concepts. Mr. Wedlake has worked directly with Ed Parker and is generous with his knowledge and his time. He is available for Kenpo Seminars and camps.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I as well as many others would love to see them, but these tapes are something special between you and Mr. Parker. One answer may be, only showing them to students who you feel that special bond too. The information in the tapes is important and allowing others to view them could be a way to share a few moments with an incredible man.

Steve Shaffer said...

The Wedlake videos have been talked about for years. He has always kept his promise to Master Parker.
Seeing Master Parker on You Tube and other videos is always a treat to see his display of speed and power. I would love to see these videos. Perhaps a "best of" DVD could be produced to give us kenpo junkies a sampling of the collection.

Later.