Saturday, September 1, 2007

Get it while you can...

Last blog I mentioned I was transferring VHS to DVD of my Ed Parker tapes. (By the way, some of you have contacted me with your thoughts about what I should do with the tapes and so for it's been "keep them to yourself".)

One of the videos was of the last seminar Mr. Parker did in the Chicago area in November, 1990. It was one month before he passed away. He promoted me to sixth degree at that seminar. The event was not that big, not as big as some of the 100+ attendees we'd had at some there. Many of my regulars were there, and Steve Hatfield was in from Ohio. When I asked some of the guys why they weren't going to attend they said "I'll catch him next time". Well, there wasn't a next time. I'd learned that lesson back in the late 70's when my teacher, Mike Sanders, was suddenly taken from us in a motorcycle accident. And that's why I've told people over the years to "Get it while you can". You just never know what might happen.

Just today I was sent a website that calculates your real age based on several questions. It told me that while my biological age is 53 my real age is 46. I would be younger but I engage in high-risk activities such as motorcycle riding and flying airplanes. Even so, the life expectancy is usually 77 and mine is 83. I've made it through 19,544 days so far. But some old lady with bad eyes who likes to mix martinis with her prescriptions and go drive on US 41 could put a stop to that. Who knows?
When I was teaching at a seminar once 12 years ago or so I was approached by a young guy who said "I have to learn as much as I can from you guys because you aren't going to be around much longer". And I was about 40 at the time.

The point is made that if you have a chance to take a seminar, class , private lesson with one of the seniors who worked with Ed Parker, do it! Go see Frank Trejo, Tom Kelly, Joe Palanzo, Mike Pick, Bob White, John Sepulveda, Skip Hancock, Huk Planas, Larry Tatum, Paul Mills and others. We're not getting any younger.

**************************************
Lee Wedlake has been teaching Kenpo Karate for over 35 years and has written a variety of Kenpo Books about different kenpo katas and kenpo concepts. Mr. Wedlake has worked directly with Ed Parker and is generous with his knowledge and his time. He is available for Kenpo Seminars and camps.

No comments: