Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ohio seminar


Steve Hatfield invited me out to his Panther Kenpo Karate studio in Mt. Vernon, just northeast of Columbus. Steve's group is always good to work with. They have always worked hard to inprove and keep getting better every time I see them. The subjects were club and gun defenses, popular subjects of late.
When I go to Steve's, he's always got this big sign out front, the one in the picture. And it always hits me the same way - when I was coming up through the ranks I never, ever, had an idea that I would be traveling like I do teaching the arts. It wasn't a thought that I'd see my "name in lights". I often wonder how I wound up doing this. There are lots of people who work just as hard. Many are much better at it than I was. And there were a bunch of us who heard the same things I heard. I said that once and someone said to me, "But you had different ears".
Regardless of how it happened, I'm glad it did. I'm happy to make my contribution to the art and its practitioners.

No comments: