Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Three P's


I was taking some annual refresher pilot training and took a course on Aeronautical Decision Making. What's that got to do with karate? Lots.
I've found in my life experience that many of the other activities I've been drawn to require the same decision-making processes as Kenpo. Why is that? Because we're human and we need this stuff. Some of our activities are more risky than others and the method of risk evaluation is more formalized. We are taught risk analysis and mitigation/prevention as kids when we learn to walk our bike across an intersection or look both ways before crossing a street.
In learning to ride a motorcycle I was taught SIPDE - scan, identify, predict, decide, and execute. In aviation it's Perceive, Process, and Perform. In Kenpo it's the eight considerations of combat that give us a handle on this but it's not organized the same way.
I thought I'd tease you with this because the meat of this will be in the Members section of my website. That's where I have full articles on aspects of Kenpo and instruction methodology. I add to it monthly at least, and more often at times. My aim is to have my Kenpo Instructor's Handbook published in there instead of as a book, along with other technical articles that I write and publish nowhere else. See http://www.leewedlake.com/index.asp?PageID=29 for info.

No comments: