Monday, May 18, 2009

Chicago seminars

Once again, we had a great time back in the old stomping grounds of Chicago. Both seminars were well-attended, with Sensei "Wojo" and his black belts attending the contact manipulation class alongside our own people.

I had the honor to promote my long-time friend and student Kurt Barnhart to sixth degree black. Kurt has been in the arts since 1967 and has studied with me since I opened my first school in Palos Hills in 1976, being one of the first in the door there. (Chicago boys; look carefully and you'll see "Da Chief" looking on.)

Kurt and I met Mr. Tom Saviano of the White Tiger school for lunch on Friday. Tom is John McSweeney's highest ranking student and carries the flame at his school in Addison, IL. I hadn't seen Tom in years and it was good to be able to spend some time with him.


That Friday evening I had dinner with another long-time friend, Doug "I hate people" Kimme, who is now a police officer in Champaign, IL. Doug and I used to shoot competitively together back in the 80s. He's way better at it than I and now instructs SWAT teams. Doug lost his only son in Iraq last year and we've been in contact but hadn't been face-to-face in many years. It sure was good to see him.
I also had some time with Sensei Bob Garza, an Aikido and Iaido instructor, whom I have tremendous respect for. He came out with us Saturday night and we had him laughing so much he had tears in his eyes. Those Chicago boys are madmen.

No comments: