Thursday, July 30, 2009

Comments on Lessons with Ed Parker

I receive e-mails about my books from time to time. This week I got two I'd like to pass on. When I wrote the book, these two gentlemen are exactly the type of people I had in mind when describing Mr. Parker to their generation of kenpoists. Their feedback, like that of others, reinforces that my concept came through.

This is from Sean Carey in Colorado. His full review is linked in his writing below.

I would like to say that I just finished reading "Lessons with Ed Parker". I found it to be an amazing read, and I wish to thank Mr. Wedlake for sharing his personal experiences, and allowing those of us who were not Mr. Parker's personal students, a glimpse of what it was like to study with SGM Parker. I met him three times at seminars, and feel privileged to have done so, but "Lessons with Ed Parker" is on my 'to read once each year' reading list, and gives me lots of material to use in my own classes. I recently posted a review (VERY positive) of the book on the website http://www.kenpotalk.com, and used a few quotes from the book to demonstrate the style of the book (with page number's referenced), I hope that is acceptable, as I directly quoted and gave credit and reference.

A full salute to Mr. Wedlake for sharing his journey with the rest of us.

Sean

----------------------------------------
Sean J. Carey
Head Instructor
Front Range Kenpo Karate
(303) 587-6486
http://www.coloradokenpo.com
info@coloradokenpo.com

This one is from David McVey in Georgia.

I just wanted to let you know that, I like many other Kenpoists have gone without ever meeting Mr. Parker and a book like this offers a perspective many of us never had the opportunity to see. Not only do you provide valuable information about Kenpo, but it also gives us a brief glimpse into history and what it was like to train with Mr. Parker. When I started many years ago back in the mid-nineties in San Antonio TX, fellow students and I would joke “Wouldn’t it be neat to get kicked by him?” Or one other student even said, “It’d be great to get a scar, nothing serious, but just a scar or an accidental cut and say – ‘yeah I got this from Mr. Parker at the such ‘n such seminar’.” I guess the equivalent to that would be comparing battle wounds with the guys. That’s how feverish we were then to gather as much information as we could that lead back to the source. With the advent of the internet today and the myriad of youtube videos, this helps to satiate that appetite but nothing beats the written word, in my opinion. I guess because it’s tangible.

When this book was released, I spent some time reading it and making my own notes. I found it very informative and very enlightening. Mr. Mathews and I would often discuss certain aspects of it too and it made me wonder, why haven’t other books like this have been published? On your website you stated that you had found an additional tape and was considering doing a second volume in the LWEP series. I think it’d be a wonderful addition to your library and I am sure that many of us would appreciate the information that you would provide and hear your thoughts about with Mr. Parker.

In closing, I also would like to say that I truly enjoy the lessons you provide on your books and I thoroughly enjoy the seminars I’ve attended that you’ve conducted and look forward to more.

Sincerely,

David M. McVey

Once again, thank you all for supporting my writing habit.

No comments: