Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm an "independent scholar"

A few weeks ago I came across an old file that had an article I had been asked to write on the Kenpo system by two men who were compiling a book. I wondered what had happened to that project and recently I found a two-volume set delivered to my door. The set is entitled Martial Arts of the World; An Encyclopedia of History and Innovation by Thomas Green and Joseph Svinth. Green is an associate professor of anthropology, Svinth is an editor.


Volume 1 is titled Regions and Individual Arts and that’s where you’ll find my entry. It’s listed under the Americas. Volume 2 is titled Themes. The first book breaks the arts down, as have others, into where they come from or are largely practiced. You’ll find some unusual information on Zulu stick-fighting and Mongolian martial arts mixed in with more mainstream systems. The second volume is interesting in that it discusses belief systems, globalization, police and military use, political use and secret societies.

I verified as much as I could with seniors in the systems such as Sibok Tom Kelly. I kept it balanced. It was an honor to write it. The independent scholar thing? That's how they listed me in the contributer list. I guess it's better than "karate guy".

No comments: