Monday, December 5, 2011

New article at leewedlake.com

I've posted the December article for subscribers. The title is Teaching to the Web of Knowledge. It really should be in the Kenpo Instructors Handbook but I've isolated it for now. Here's an excerpt.


However, there is an opposite and reverse for everything. Instead of asking for a technique by name I ask the class to do what they know for a grab, that being part of one of the categories on the Web. Then I watch to see what comes out. It is apparent that most don’t think of their techniques in terms of the categories on the Web. When I ask for grabs I see chokes, locks, hugs, holds, even pushes (an entry to a grab?).

What this exercise does is allow you to cover the distinctions between each type of attack classification. Can you explain the difference between a hug and a hold? Why do you think he grouped locks and chokes together? Then there is the obvious - weapons go with weapons and the two-man techniques stand alone.
Yearly subscriptions for written articles are $29 and you subscribe at www.leewedlake.com

No comments: