Monday, July 23, 2012

Steve Hatfield Promoted


Steve Hatfield first came to me for a seminar with Mr. Parker in Chicago around 1982. He was a black belt in Kenpo and wanted to see the creator of the system. As time went by he wanted to train in the Parker system and Mr. Parker recommended me to go to. Steve lives in the Columbus, Ohio area and Chicago was reasonably close for him to come see me. He made that long drive many times over the years to take privates and attend seminars with Mr. Parker, Frank Trejo, Huk Planas and Joe Palanzo.
He had opened a studio, Panther Kenpo Karate, and was (and is) committed to getting the best education in Kenpo for himself and his students. Along the way I introduced him to chi-kung and he got his exposure to Russian Systema and Filipino arts. Steve has availed himself of what those methods have to offer as well and found it helped him get a better understanding of himself and Kenpo as well.
Mr. Hatfield has had me to his studio for many years and made several trips to Florida to train in the 20 years I was there. In that time I've seen the progress of his students and how he has grown as a martial artist and teacher.
Taking all this and more into consideration and reading his succinct 7th degree essay, I had no problem with moving him up to that rank this past weekend. While I was there to sit on an exam board and teach some seminars I promoted him in front of an audience of his students and their families. Al McLuckie, my long-time friend and outstanding martial artist who lives in Ft. Wayne, Indiana was there, which just iced the cake.
  My congratulations to Mr. Hatfield and his students who passed their exams for 1st and 2nd black this weekend.

No comments: