Thursday, December 27, 2007

Historical interest

Over the years the system has changed in regard to how many techniques are taught per level. There are instructors still teaching the original 32, there are some still teaching the Parker curriculum as it was before he created the lists of 32. In the early 80's it was chopped to 24 per belt. People say he was "going to make it 16" but I never heard him say that. The techniques were re-sequenced in the 80's also. Some techniques were dropped and others added. This seems to be of some interest and I base that comment on how many videos I've sold of the original ten yellow belt techniques as well as seeing how many people don't know them when I go out to teach seminars.
I scanned and uploaded the original requirement booklets from yellow to green on my website. If you're a member you can see every page along with the commentary I've added. You can see the changes made in form sequencing, lists of the freestyle techniques, and the elaborate grading code he developed.
In addition I scanned in the IKKA member handbook. It's neat to see how he laid out the standardized uniforms and testing procedures for what was originally a very tight and strong group, along with other items.
I want to emphasize that Mr. Parker marked them as copyrighted in the 70's and they're not up on the web for people to go and use them in their schools, so I hope people will respect that. They are there for the historical interest. I have them and want to share the information.

No comments: