Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Why me?

If you read Ed Parker's Infinite Insights into Kenpo, Vol. 5, you see the first three forms in the system shown in a line drawing, step-by-step. Those drawings were taken from a series of photographs I posed for in Chicago and shot by Brad Crooks. Mr. Parker had asked me to have them done and he would include them in his book. I shot every move from Short One through Long Three. I brought the black and white shots to him in California and we went through them one by one. He made corrections and I went back and re-did the ones he selected. Cost about $1,000.
Later he told me he had decided to have Ed Jr make line drawings from the pictures. 25 years later Ed told me he found the pictures in a box at his parent's home. I have some of them, too. But why the change, and why me?
The change, I think, was that he wanted to make some changes, corrections, or both and it was easier and faster to have Ed Jr draw it than to go through the wait time for shooting photos and getting them to California. Why was I selected and used as the model in the book? I'm not sure. I was about 29-30 years old and didn't have a lot of cash but I paid for the photos anyway. I had been the first Parker stylist to make the National Top Ten in forms, maybe that's why. Maybe it was a reward, to be in the book; chosen above all the other excellent practitioners out there. I really don't know. Maybe he just liked me and I was in the right place at the right time.
I'm glad he did, though. And Ed Jr gave me some more hair in the drawings.

No comments: