Monday, January 26, 2009

New Hampshire weekend, Part 1




Jack Nilon and I went up to Manchester last weekend to work with Steve White's group up there. Jack taught a well-received class on Friday night. The subject was non-standard entries to two-man defenses.



As always, our hosts were great. Lee MacDonald took Mr. Nilon to the shooting range with Mr. MacKenzie while Mr. White and I went snowmobiling. It was the first time for me and I had a blast. On Saturday morning before that day's seminars Steve and I went to the Nashua airport to meet Bob Dimeo, a flight instructor Steve had introduced me to a few years ago. Bob has completed building his own airplane, an RV-8, and it's beautiful. The picture here does not do it justice. It looks like a little Mustang. The weather was a bit too cold to go flying and the ramp was covered in ice, but Bob has told me we'll take it up in May when I go back.



The Saturday class was a closed event. It was provided to the teaching team members of three schools by the school owners as an appreciation gift to them. Mr. Bill Gaudette, Mr. Jim Peacock, Mr. Harry Grimm, and Mr. White flew me up to teach at their expense. In my mind, such gestures mean more than money and gifts; experiences usually outlast material things by building character, educating, and broadening people.


Two other black belts of mine showed up, they being Lance Soares of Massachusetts and Tony Velada of Chicago. You can see they enjoyed themselves with Mr. Nilon. That's Lance on the left and Jack on the right.

The seminar was visited by a surprise guest. I'll tell that story next time.



No comments: