Tuesday, January 6, 2009

School's Out!

I graduated from the US Air Force Squadron Officer School today. This is the course that captains and majors take prior to being selected for a squadron command. It's a little unusual being a civilian but my membership in the Civil Air Patrol enabled me to take the course. I've spent the last six months studying and taking exams. I found the sections on Professionalism, Leadership, Communications and Management to be particularly useful. I learned a tremendous amount and am working on integrating this new knowledge into my classes and seminars. Much of the military and international studies were interesting but not something I have a use for right now.
I managed to shave 12 months off the alloted time of 18 months by spending an hour each morning reading and watching the online sessions. It's a load off my schedule and now I'm into the next project.

No comments: