Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Perception

In my writing and teaching I have mentioned how the brain works with selective perception. I related how a video of two basketball teams passing the ball is shown and the audience is asked to count how many passes are made during the clip. That's the task. Something else happens while they are tasked and most people miss it. So, here's the clip, as presented in a lecture.

Studies also show that talking on a cell phone while driving is like driving under the influence and this selective perception related to task shows how we miss things. You can see how this would affect your martial arts as well.

2 comments:

Mr. Karate said...

With all the hints he gave it was easy to keep my focus diffused, so I saw the ape the first time.

I wonder if the cell phone thing also applies to using a handsfree, or if it extends to having a conversation with someone in the next seat.

-2nd black in Manchester NH

Lee Wedlake said...

That is the argument about phones in cars. If a phone is distracting, isn't tuning your radio or having a conversation? A conversation is much more distracting than tuning a radio, I think.
However, the hands-free thing is notable because it eliminates a blind-spot created by the physical mechanics of holding a phone to your ear.
Pilots have a "sterile cockpit" rule in which nobody speaks when within a certain height above the ground unless absolutely necessary because of distractions.
My point is that there is a solution but who is going to use it? Stop talking in the car?