Monday, November 22, 2010

High school presentation

I spoke to two classes at Lely High School in Naples this past week. The students I spoke to are in the AVID program, Advancement Via Individual Determination and it's a college prep program. Here's a link about the program from their local paper,
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/nov/10/school-program-aims-help-more-students-go-college/
   I spoke to them about the importance of getting a good education, conflict resolution and problem solving. Both groups asked great questions and their teachers said they were fascinated. I used a lapel grab situation to illustrate how a problem is presented and the US Air Force six-step process one can use to solve it. That process can be used anywhere but using it on the body brought it to life for them.
  The classes surprised me with a gift of President Bush's book, Decision Points and a Leatherman tool.
Thanks to Mr. Davis and Ms. Gaddis for the invitation. 

No comments: