Sunday, November 14, 2010

Member section article

A new article is posted for subscribers to me website at http://www.leewedlake.com/ on cover-outs. Here's an excerpt.
Theories on the Origin of the Cover-Out


By Lee Wedlake

At a seminar in Chicago I was asked by a participant* if I knew if the cover-out (or cross-out) was always a part of the techniques. I had never thought to ask Mr. Parker that question and had to admit I didn’t know. But, like a good instructor should, I told him I would ask and see if I could find an answer.

I surveyed some of the higher-ranking instructors and came up with a variety of answers, some of which were the same as mine. After gathering information and thinking about it, this is what I came up with.

The seminar participant himself sent me a link to story about Joe Emperado, one of the brothers who had studied under Professor Chow and a founder of the Kajukenbo system. Emperado had been stabbed in the kidney during a street fight in 1958 and died two days afterward. The implication is that he didn’t see it coming. Of course, there is more than one version of how it happened but here is a link. http://hokkien.uuft.org/history.html

No comments: