Thursday, February 3, 2011

When should you rotate your punch?

An excerpt from a new article on my site in the Member's section on when to twist your punch.

Back in the 70’s I was told that some systems teach the student to wait to the very end of the punch to finish the twist, as you met skin. The reason was to tear the skin as you hit, adding insult to injury. I really didn’t know what to make of that and clung to the lesson I had been taught, which was to twist half-way through.  You have to be pretty sensitive and accurate to pull this off. Later I found that boxers teach the same principle. I know that tearing of the skin results from many types of strike so I have no reason to doubt that twisting a punch at the last moment to tear the skin works.
Subscriptions for access are $29/year for almost 200 articles and historical info. http://www.leewedlake.com/

No comments: