Monday, November 14, 2011

Who changed the names?

Information related to the recent poll on this site. I've left it up so you can see the results.

I always wondered about the difference in the technique names between the Parker and Tracy schools. Did the Tracy's leave Mr. Parker and change the names? Or did he change them after they left and opened their own schools? Who felt the need to make that change so they could be different from the other?
I could see reasons for either party to do this, so I asked around. What I was told was that it was Mr. Parker who made the changes.
If anyone has more info, I'd like to hear it.  

4 comments:

Lenny said...

This is kinda related... is there a good reference to the history of the techniques?
Like who came up with a certain technique, which tech was the "main idea" which were derived to mklae a point or for category completion?

Like "Dance of Death", "Thundering Hammers", "Sleeper" for different variants of the same technique intro.
Which technique started it all? Or where they developed as a group?

I know this might be just "kenpo trivia" without actual relevance when it comes to performing the techniques, but this kind of information also makes Kenpo more interesting for me. It adds personality. :)

Lee Wedlake said...

I use my site, www.kenpotv.net, to do this. The "Closer Look" segments contain information on where they came from, etc.

Lenny said...

I actually checked your site first, but "thundering hammer" is one of the view techniques without history information in the "closer look" video.

Lee Wedlake said...

Hammers is one that on the surface it would seem the name origin is obvious. However, Frank Trejo tells a story about the origin of the name I never heard. And when I asked others seniors, they said they'd heard something similar. I'd never asked Mr. Parker about that one and it never came up in conversation. Sometimes you just don't know what to ask.