Friday, June 8, 2007

Ozzie Rivero

I was at lunch with Kyle Zwarg and he mentioned that a medical transport plane had crashed somewhere. Now that causes concern on different levels. As a human being we are concerned for others. As pilots we want to know as well, for several reasons. As a kenpo instructor I am concerned because I have a black belt who is on an organ transport team for the University of Chicago. His name is Oswaldo Rivero.
I contacted Oz to find that he was OK, but naturally upset. The transplant teams are few and they tend to know each other, as was the case here. It was a team from Michigan that went down, all aboard were killed. He asks that we pay for them, and keep them in mind since they "fight the good fight" (his words), saving lives and accepting the risks involved in that fight.
Let me tell you a little about Ozzie. He was born in Cuba and came to the States very young. Grew up in Tampa and wound up in cosmopolitan Ft. Myers. He took Tae Kwon Do to the rank of brown belt (maybe red) and came into my school shortly after I opened. He was more curious than really looking to change schools but he did and trained with me, bringing a few more guys that are still around and teaching.
Oz told me he hated doing forms. I explained the reasons for them and related them to fighting, which is what Oz really likes to do. Wouldn't you know, Oz got good at forms. Funny how that works - when someone understands something, they can make it theirs.
Bob Brandt, another Chicago transplant, met Oz at my studio and hired him. Then he transferred him to Chicago. Oz was working for Bob at the U of C, where they liked him so much they hired him away. Since then Ozzie has earned his master's degree and become the transplant coordinator for the program. He married a lovely lady named Jill and he's working toward his third degree.
Many of you know or have met Ozzie. He's a fun-loving guy, with a quick wit, and strong-will. He's been to Sweden and Denmark with me and was always ready to help out at the studio. And he's always in the group picture.
He's the guy to have on your side.

No comments: