Thursday, June 21, 2007

Technique analysis

I have a "Members Only" section on my website. In there I have what I'm told is some pretty useful and insightful information I have written and posted. I wrote a three-level Technique Analysis paper, part of which is in there. I have started to touch on the subject at some seminars and I get some fairly apprehensive looks. However, after the last one, one of the participants, sent me the chart below. His name is Gary Bell and he's from North Carolina. Gary drives down to Orlando once a month to take my PDS. If you take a look at what he did, it illustrates well what I am trying to get across. Yes, it takes some work. yes, it will pay off in increasing your understanding of the kenpo system. Well done, Gary.
Mr. Wedlake,

This is my first attempt at the technique analysis. I was hoping that you might be able to see if I'm working in the right direction, I don't want to travel the wrong way for too long. I had started this some time last week to see if there was any relationships within the last 4 techniques.



Escape from the Storm
Fatal Deviation
Entwined Lance
Circling the Storm

Attack
right overhead
right, left punch combo
right high thrust
close overhead

Attack Direction
3 to 9
12 to 6
12 to 6
12 to 6

Opponent's forward leg (ideal)
right
right
right
right

Our front leg on first move
right
right
left
right

Our leg in reference to their leg
outside
inside
inside
outside

Blocking hand
rear
front
front
front

Our block
outside the arm (inward parry)
inside the arm (inward block)
inside the arm (outward parry)
outside the arm (inward block)




Regards,

Gary

Gary did this in chart form and it's better represented that way. Obviously Gary is farther ahead on the computer stuff than I am.

No comments: