Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Request to Help Some Kids

This is from one of my guys running a program for at-risk boys.

The following is information about the Kenpo program that I've been providing to the young men at Glenn Springs Academy - formerly Spartanburg Boys Home - since early June. One of my PL students (John Gramling III) got this program off the ground as a piece of "Mission Work", and raised the money to provide a small income for me to teach Mondays and Fridays. I've invested many other hours into helping these "youth at risk" outside of the regular class time the past two months, due to being so inspired to help them. As I have told them more than once - "I am here to help you have a better life than what you've lived so far." These 14 guys (and staff members) work hard for me and have responded well to my efforts to help them GROW into better behaved, more productive citizens in our society. Here is their web address with all the info you need: http://www.glennspringsacademy.org/index.html

John and I are trying to raise outside contributions to provide uniforms, belts, T-shirts, training equipment, etc. for these students - as all they have in this world is what caring people provide for them - along with some meager support from the state. But I've spent plenty of time with them in their little "cubby hole" rooms, and as Exec Director Scott Scheel and I agree - they deserve all we can provide for them. Some of these guys have told me they've been in DSS or DJJ since they were two years old. Some have been removed from their homes by the state because their "home lives" are so bad. Anyway, I am a big believer in "full disclosure", and therefore will be providing a quarterly report for everyone - beginning the end of September - showing the names and amounts of money contributed - along with the total amount raised, along with line item expenditures as to what the money was used for. If you can support our program with $20 or $200 or whatever - anything will be appreciated. If you do not want your name listed on the quarterly report, just include a note to post you as an "anonymous contributor". You can make checks payable to "Robert Wallace", and send them to me at:
310 Evins Road
Pauline, SC 29374-2810

Thank you very much for your time in reading this information, and considering supporting our program. Please contact me with any questions you may have.
Coach Robert 864-576-2525

No comments: