Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Weekend seminars successful and some promotions

Three airlines, two cities, in three days. I visited Steve Hatfield's Panther Kenpo Karate in Mt. Vernon, OH and Marc Shay's American Karate in Broomall, PA over the weekend. Steve and I tested some of his people on Friday and Monte McCammon was promoted to third black. On Sunday I promoted Sam Babikian of Media, PA to 4th black. Sam hadn't been promoted since 1991 and has been working under me for the last three years. Congrats to them both!
   I taught seminars for Steve's juniors and then two man defenses for his adults. What's notable about Steve's people is they always have their notebooks out- and they use them. This is something Mr. Parker always encouraged and I seem to remember it being required at Pasadena at one time.
   Mr. Shay's group asked to do some basic groundwork and joint-lock countering. I'd done a class like that in Chicago earlier in the year and the guys loved it. It's just a little basic "rolling" but enough to familiarize people with some grappling principles.
   Steve Hatfield also showed me a book he's been included in. He writes poetry and is one of ten poets to be published in the Apple Valley Poets collection. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=apple+valley+poets&ih=12_5_0_0_0_1_0_0_0_1.0_231&fsc=-1&x=17&y=19

No comments: