Monday, February 23, 2009

They came, they saw, they partied

This past weekend we had a combination seminar and birthday party for my 55th. They came from around Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Illinois, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Ed Cabrera taught more of his kenpo/boxing fusion techniques. De-escalation was the subject of Lance Soare's seminar. After lunch our special guest, Pai Lum grandmaster Glenn Wilson shared some stories and two techniques, followed by Jack Nilon's presentation on using the eight things you can do to a technique but from the opponent's perspective. 7th degree Steve White wrapped up the seminars with a fine section on moving from the free technique to grappling. (Mr. White trains in Judo with Olympic medalist Jimmy Pedro.)

Master Wilson's Pai Lum group had come down from Orlando to be with us and the two groups meshed well. I had the opportunity to sit and talk with my friend for an hour or so and get caught up. We've known each other for 29 years and hadn't been in touch until recently. It was great to get reacquainted and I plan to keep the connections open. They surprised me with a gift that I will treasure, a Pai Lum family katana. I was blown away.




That evening we gathered at the home of one of my black belts, Bob Brandt. Long-time and new friends, students and family members enjoyed a cool evening with music, great food, and even some "dancing girls". I was swamped with generous and unexpected gifts and I thank everyone for those. I have to say I got one or two with no tags and one with no name by mail, so I don't know who sent them and have no way to thank you - but if you read this, THANKS.

On Sunday, some of the out-of-town guests delayed their departures to stop and see the new studio. We had a short open house from 1-3 pm for local people and about 60 showed up. Don Espiritu's wife made a birthday cake with the Parker crest on it and it was delicious.


All in all, it was a wonderful weekend. I am blessed to have so many good friends who took time out to come and be with us here in Ft. Myers. I am humbled and grateful.

No comments: