Friday, July 6, 2007

Passing down a belt

There is an old tradition in the arts of passing down a belt. It is reserved for someone special; a loyal and/or outstanding student, a family member, and so on. Whoever does the passing down has their reasons, suffice to say that is enough. The act of passing down the belt is recognized as being something special.
I've been passed belts by Frank Trejo, Huk Planas, and my judo teacher, Carole Wolken. All mean a lot to me. I was told that one of the belts Huk gave me was given him by Ed Parker, so in a roundabout way I was passed Ed Parker's belt, too.
Sometimes they're "passed up" but really they are being presented by students as a token to their teachers and it too means a lot. I have belts I was given by my students over the years that mean a great deal to me.
I've seen many a belt passed on in the countless promotion ceremonies I've attended or participated in. I've passed my share as well. I believe there is an energy that is passed with the belt and it is meant to be worn with that in mind. I like to think that's why the tradition started.
I have to add that there were two that I think I may have given mistakenly, many, many years apart. One I gave and when it was accepted, the recipient made an unexpected comment that distressed me. It was not directed to me or about me but it demonstrated an attitude that I'd never seen from someone being given a belt in this manner before. He later proved by his actions that he was not worthy of the acknowledgement. I'd seen this man grow and develop from a rather shy guy into someone with some confidence. I was proud of what he had become.
When he went off to open his own school he didn't so much as let me know he had opened it - not a call or e-mail, business card, nothing. He put the logo of another association in the window even though he told me he was staying in my lineage. His website shows no evidence he was taught by me and like many others in similar situation under other teachers, implies direct tutelage under another senior. That's a slap in the face because we spend so much time and emotion in getting someone through the ranks, answering their questions, watching them develop, helping them through struggle in more than just martial arts. I put the work in with him and he does not acknowledge it. I could go on but there is no point.
Following another tradition, I asked for the return of the belt. He has been "axed", as in the Kenpo crest. In some Japanese systems, the belt is taken back, the certificate burned, and the name will be unspoken by remaining practitioners. He earned his diploma, and he has his own belt. Those are manifestations of the knowledge and proficiency he has gained. But the trust that was shown in him was misplaced and that belt could not remain around his waist or in his possession.
It's a shame, but these things happen. He was gracious enough to return it and it has been destroyed. I told this story to a traditional Japanese stylist. He was horrified but he understood and said he knew what it all meant. I'm not sure my guy does.

No comments: